The Current State of Phantom Blade

Discuss heroes, skills, item setups, and even make a guide!
Jackhammer4000
Furbolg Giant

The Current State of Phantom Blade

Post by Jackhammer4000 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:32 am

Hello everyone, I wanted to talk about Phantom Blade outside of my guide as this is much simpler then looking through the whole thing. I'm going to talk about what "I" think of Phantom Blade as of 0.34o because I've noticed something that's happening to it ever so slowly that I don't see happening elsewhere to another class and it's getting to the point where I need/want to mention it.

Currently, Phantom Blade has been hit particularly hard with The Ender being nerfed and (E) being nerfed amongst other things. I've been testing it's damage currently and looking back it's gone down considerably so. I do agree with the Ender nerf, but I don't agree with (E) being nerfed. Now I don't know why it was nerfed or who else plays this class and is good enough to be a healthy representative of it, but "I" noticed it has seemed to have gotten into a cycle of some kind.

Phantom Blade is extremely item dependent to the point where using any other item usually cripples it immensely. Rot, Oceanus/Atricia/Ender, Vos, Wos being those items. Ender nerf with (E) nerf makes the weapon do WAY less then it did considering it's old damage value of 35000 and it's main stat value of 2710 is now 10x less impactful on E's proc making the weapon FINALLY worse then Atricia comparatively. This made me realize something about the nerf and how Phantom Blade is seemingly getting nerfed minor degrees overtime leading to a larger change overall.

Phantom Blade seems to have the capacity to make certain items overly useful towards itself due to it's kit hence making them look extremely strong, Ender is a great example of this to the point where a nerf was in order in which I do agree it was a good decision considering it wasn't a craft and allowed Phantom Blade to do 39-43m on average during 60s tests with no other Alteia crafts, since the nerfs took place however as small as they seem, Phantom Blade has taken a massive hit in what I would boldly claim to be an unfair direction.

It seems to me that Phantom Blade makes an item to strong and gets it nerfed based on that, which isn't the issue here. The issue is the expectation that Phantom Blade should be doing a set amount of damage at all times instead of actually benefiting from Alteia Crafts and nerfing the class itself to the point where it stays at the same tier no matter what upgrades the class is going to end up getting. The best way to prove that this is actually happening (And it already is with Ender and E Nerf) is when all the new crafts come out for testing and seeing if the class itself gets further nerfed or the items themselves and if other classes stay the same (Most are currently) or get the same treatment as Phantom Blade is currently and that in lies Phantom Blade's issue that I've noticed after playing it heavily again and that is there is an EXTREMELY fine line between how items and Phantom Blade itself correlate when it comes to the balancing between them. I personally felt that before the x40 change that Phantom's damage was acceptable for having an Alteia level item like Atricia/Ender pre-E nerf at 36-38m, but now Ender/PB itself has been hit so heavily that it can't even reach 36m and if so barely and Atricia finally pulls ahead of Ender after all this time as you can see below and even so not by a lot. Atricia is actually another thing I want to talk about because I just don't understand so much about this weapon and i'll talk about what I mean in a separate thread.

A big thing that I feel like is missing from a balancing perspective at least from what I can't see is, what is the expected damage a class should be doing at certain tiers of the game? Burst vs Dot ofc leads to heavy variables if your looking at just dummy tests, yet it's still something to consider. The reason I pose this question is because I'd like to know it and it's a good guideline as to "Why" nerfs like these happen and why they are expected. I don't know the weight of what I asking for / how hard it would be to get accurate numbers, but I personally feel it would help immensely when it comes to understanding buffs and nerfs.

If -2000 damage on a Weapon and -10x on it's E proc is leading to -6m to -8m overall damage doesn't show how fine the line really is comparing item and class, I don't know what can. Phantom Blade is so fragile and absurd at the same time due to the way it scales I can't even think of what the proper decisions will be in the coming future for the class, but I can say that 50x to 40x was unfair with confidence, it hit way to hard.

The TLDR of what I'm trying to say is that Phantom Blade is going to be stuck in a loop of items making it look good then nerfing the class to always be the same which is unfair. It's turning out to be a class that going to be just "Stuck" is the best way to put it.

0.34o Dps Tests
Atricia Dps Tests
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Ender Dps Tests
Show
Spoiler