Gunner clunkiness dissociation

Discuss heroes, skills, item setups, and even make a guide!
GlyphofWrath
Silverback Wolf

Gunner clunkiness dissociation

Post by GlyphofWrath » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:50 am

Hey, returning player here..
Been playing gunner lately and i had a little chat around the community about why gunner feels so "clunky"
All gunner mechanics are based around Q - Q+W shoots more bullets, Q+R shoots all your ammo with Q damage amplified, Q+E drops more bombs but on yourself.
Great Idea with poor implementation. basically, Q removes your skills and gives you different E skill that has a different effect - This sucks playing even with no ping.
If you try to Q and spam E you will get the AOE courser of unusable skill - you have to time it just right.
If you try to Q and then use W you will probably shot one bullet before the skill returns to the Character.
If you try to Q and then R you think you will get a target courser, but the skill is not available yet, and you loose your hero focus.
This problem is manageable if you just click to move and wait a second before taking action, but then comes skill T - a HUGE time limited steroid and probably 80% of your damage.

How do you deal with that?
Glyph
Praise the Sun \o/

Urim03
Turtle Lord

Re: Gunner clunkiness dissociation

Post by Urim03 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 pm

Hello there, when I played gunner I had same trouble as you, I suggested a lot of fix which all got listenned at beside the Q not feeling smooth.
Link here to suggestion post

Unfortunately there is no real solution for all of them, but here is what I was doing to "counter" that a bit.

Q W
That works pretty fine if you just spamm W or learn timing, later on it won't be specifically useful also.

Q E
For that you can either learn timing perfectly or spamm E and right clic of the mouse. The right clics will cancel the basic E until the empowered E comes out. But to be honnest in endgame fight this QE combo isn't that useful, even if total damage has pretty high scaling, you won't look for items that will make the bonus damage that interesting.

Q R
The only solution I found for that is to right clic on the floor while/after tumble and then use R, it slows down a bit but you don't really want to use the bonus empowered AA from Q to not be amplified by R bonus. So I can only think of Q right clic R even if it might delay the spell by half a second.

About the T I would mostly suggest to not use the W or the E while it as AA damage are way more interesting than those spell while T once you get halo and frost web brooch.

It's about all advice I can give you, I highly agree that Q should be improved to feel smooth to use, but it's not the case atm. So those are more just adaptive gameplay than real solution. I hope I helped you a bit with that.
Spoiler
Show
Gib these wings on SM|Image

GlyphofWrath
Silverback Wolf

Post by GlyphofWrath » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:52 am

I should have known you'd play the new champ Urim, And thank you for the awesome response :D
It's nice to see you've already posted a suggestion thread about it.
Praise the Sun \o/

greenFruit
Count Wallachia

Post by greenFruit » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:48 pm

I know it's not smooth at the moment.

I will probably try to add a spell queue system so that if you cast W/R mid Q, it would cast W/R after Q finishes.
I think E is hopeless though... perhaps I should just make the targeting same for both non-empowered/empowered E so that it doesn't get the un-castable glitch at least

GlyphofWrath
Silverback Wolf

Post by GlyphofWrath » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Glad to see you active as ever gF !
Maybe make E empower just like w is? still ranged but after roll throws more bombs?
Either way, changes to W and R will be a huge quality of life improvement.
Thanks !
Praise the Sun \o/

Urim03
Turtle Lord

Post by Urim03 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:10 am

greenFruit wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:48 pm
I think E is hopeless though... perhaps I should just make the targeting same for both non-empowered/empowered E so that it doesn't get the un-castable glitch at least
I got a suggestion, why not make the empowered E throw 4 bombs just like normal + 4 bombs around the hero ? Like that we can do QE smoothly and won't necessarily be needed to cast melee
Spoiler
Show
Gib these wings on SM|Image